WARNING : This content was auto generated from a backup file, links and images may be broken.

Like most developers working on the I phone I have had the distinct pleasure of trying to get an Ad-Hoc build working. Dave managed to do this with Brett Nova without much issue unfortunatlly when I tried to get this all working for Prok I ran into hell where the build would work locally but as soon as I sent it out to the rest of the team to play with it failed.

The Setup:
1) Copy the Release Build.
2) Add an Entitlements file (from Add New File).
3) Un-tick the Entitlements tick box.
4) Add the Entitlements file into the build configuration.
5) Select the Ad-Hoc Distribution profile in the build configuration.
6) Hit build (remember to select the correct platform).

Once this was all done I checked the Build Results for the embedded mobileprovision and profile yep they where all there. I eventually concluded (after repeating the steps several times) that the build set up was fine so it must be something else but what.

Next Step:
I checked the devices I added in the developer connect web site as it could be huyman error. I ask the guys to re-send there device UIDD so I could check them against the devices added they where fine What the hell was I doing wrong it just did not make any sense. They could install the mobileprovision but the app would always fail to launch

Finally:
After going back to the drawing board and hitting my head off a brick wall for a couple hours I decided to get two machines two devices to see if I could replicate the issue locally. I would build the app on one machine pass it to the other and try to install the build in the same way the users did and hey presto the build failed to run. The build worked on the machine that it was compiled on but not once I transferred it to the other (I did this vice versa and got the same results) it must have been my distribution method. We were using drop box ( which is great ) to share data and files and at the time I was just dropping the .app directly and not zipping it as recommended in the documentation. Much like svn drop box is adding hidden files into the directory structure and as the .app container is a wrapper round a directory hidden files were being added to the container which altered the application causing the licencing to fail.

Conclusion:
Follow the apple steps to the letter and should all be fine (and do not waste lot’s of your own time like I did).

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus